Stop & Smell the Rose Garden this Mother’s Day
It’s a popular tradition to buy Mom Roses for Mother’s Day. No other flower can communicate such a range of meaning and emotion. This year, why not consider giving her some roses that will last for years rather than a few days.
6 Reasons to Plant Roses for Mom:
- Rose bouquets last only a few days. Rose plantings last for years!
- They’re beautiful!
- They have a lovely fragrance
- There are many low maintenance options now.
- You can grow them in the ground or in a container
- There’s a wide variety to choose from
6 Types of Roses – With So Many, Choosing can be a Little Thorny!
Floribunda – its Cowabunga! A bushy shrub with lots of big, showy blossoms on every stem (instead of just one). Something to really get excited about!
Hybrid Tea, anyone? These are the long, tall beauties you see at the florist.
Shrub & Landscape – a dynamic duo. Hardy, low-maintenance plant that blooms throughout a long season available in shapes and sizes to fit any landscape.
Climbers – heighten the effect. Dress up the scene with cascades of flowers – train climbers to adorn an entrance, wall or fence –anything that will offer support.
Miniature – no shortage of lovely with these little beauties. Large roses are beautiful, but there is something even more captivating about seeing roses this small. Hardy little plants that do well in containers.
Tree Roses – or four? You just can’t get enough of them. These grafted wonders connect strong roots to a long stem and the top of a rosebush to create an unusual but elegant look. Extra care is required for these roses.
Nothing Thorny about Growing Roses
Tips when Planting Roses:
- Plant your rose where it will get at least six hours of sun each day
- Dig a hole at least 18 inches in diameter and 18 inches deep.
- Discard half the soil and replace it with compost, peat moss or Espoma Organic Planting Mix.
- Mix approximately 3 cups of Espoma Rose-tone into amended soil. Refill the hole with enough soil so that when the plant is planted, the soil level is the same as the surrounding area.
- Add mulch and water.