Freshly baked chocolate-chip cookies, homemade sandwiches with the crusts cut off and secret passwords— mom did it all for you. She showered you with love in so many ways, big and small.
Now it’s your turn to remind Mom how much you truly appreciate her.
Since Mom has made so many wonderful treasures for you over the years, take the time to make her a gift she’ll enjoy for months!
From a traditional hanging basket to a funky container garden, select a container that’s just her style, fill it with her favorite flowers and present a homemade gift that will bloom and delight for months!
Watch our video on container gardening for each step of the process, or follow the steps below.
First, find the perfect container. There are tons of fun, colorful and patterned containers out there. Or get creative and use an unexpected object. Either way, select the one that screams “Mom!” to you.
Be sure your container has drainage holes at the bottom and be sure it isn’t too big. Once the container is filled with soil, it can get pretty heavy.
Next, look for 3-5 flowers, grasses or greenery. If you already know Mom’s favorite flowers, definitely use those.
Then, choose plants that spill, thrill and fill! You want a plant that cascades, one that mounds and one that stands out among the rest.
You can mix colors, or stick with a monochromatic color scheme. Have fun with it!
Regardless, it’s best to make sure your plants like the same growing conditions. As a final check before checkout, compare plant tags to see if they all need the same amount of sun and water.
While you’re still shopping, grab a bag of the best organic potting mix.
Espoma Organic Potting Mix is not only 100 percent organic, but contains Myco-tone Mycorrhizae, too.
Plants growing in Espoma Organic Potting Mix require up to 30 percent less water than other potting soils. With water restrictions a concern, Mom will use less water for her container.
Plus, Espoma Organic Potting Mix helps your plants adjust to their new home better and grow bigger roots for bigger plants.
Now, get crafty!
- Fill the container 3/4 full with Espoma’s Organic Potting Mix.
- Mix in 2 tablespoons of Espoma’s Bio-tone® Starter Plus with the soil to give it that extra oomph. This organic plant food encourages bigger and more plentiful blooms!
- Remove the plants from their original containers and arrange them in the new planter.
- Play around a bit. Move the plants around to see where each plant looks best.
- Once the plants look perfect to you, fill in any gaps in the container with organic potting soil.
- Water well.
- Stick your Mother’s Day card in the soil on a floral pick and tie a bow around the container.
Wait till you see Mom’s face when you arrive on Mother’s Day with a beautiful, homemade container garden!
Share a photo of your Mom with her homemade Mother’s Day container on our Facebook page! And tell her Happy Mother’s Day from Espoma!