OUR COMMITMENT TO THE ENVIRONMENT
The Espoma Company has always been committed to the environment and sustainability and we continue to look for ways to reduce our carbon footprint.
One of Espoma’s core values is responsibility. We believe companies, like individuals, should be environmentally and socially responsible. Our products utilize a vast array of renewable and sustainable ingredients that work in harmony with nature, preserve natural resources, and make a safer world for future generations. We also support a wide variety of community, educational, environmental and other non-profit organizations that work for a positive change.
ORGANIC APPROVED PRODUCTS
- Approved for organic use by the CDFA (California Dept. of Food & Agriculture)
- Utilize a vast array of renewable and sustainable ingredients
- Never uses any sludges or fillers
- Received certificate of Environmental Stewardship
- Safe for people, pets and the planet [Safe – No hazardous or toxic ingredients]
100% SOLAR POWER
Espoma’s manufacturing facility is 100% solar powered and consists of panels that cover nearly 43,000 sq. ft. of warehouse rooftops and 24,000 sq. ft. of office ground.
The current solar system:
- Covers 67,000 sq. ft.
- Produces > 810,000 kilowatt hours (kWh) of electricity (enough to power over 70 homes for a full year)
- Saves more than 1.6 million pounds of greenhouse gas emissions annually
- Reduces as much C02 as planting two million trees
ZERO WASTE MANUFACTURING
Espoma has always been a minimal waste manufacturing facility and continues to strive to create zero waste during its manufacturing processes.
- Zero raw material waste
- < 1% waste of packaging materials
- Recycling of skids and damaged pallets
- Largest recycler of manure – Prevents millions of lbs. of raw manure from leaching into waterways
The company is continuing its tradition of industry leading innovation by utilizing a plant-based resin on many of its fertilizer bags for 2019. The new greener packaging will contain resin from sugarcane, a renewable and sustainable source of plastic. This new plant-based packaging will be the first green packaging for plant foods in the US.
- New packaging with 25% plant-based resins
- Espoma has enrolled in the USDA’s Bio-Preferred program that includes a rigorous testing process for finished packages to ensure compliance.
NEW GREEN OFFICE FACILITY
- Oxygen producing & water efficient living green wall
- Solar field serves as energy source
- LED high-efficiency lighting
- Energy star-rated cool roofing
- Hyper-heating Inverter technology heat pumps (low energy consumption)
OTHER SUSTAINABILITY EFFORTS
- Recycling programs in manufacturing facility & headquarters
- Pollinator garden at headquarters
- Safe Paws Lawn Care Education
- National Garden Club Plant America! Grant Program
- Providing support for community and children’s gardening programs